Sunday, June 8, 2008

PaTcH AdAmS...

Love...
passion..
sacrifice...

I admit that once I was one of those students which entered these profession for monetary reason. I am a liar if I'll tell you that I'm not such. I admit that the sole reason of choosing nursing is to go abroad...earn money... and be happy. But it was changed. These notions seem to be vanished, because, someone introduced to me the true spirit and real sensibility of this profession.
Last Friday, (Feb. 1), we watched the story of Patch Adams. A person who has a strong personality and demonstrated his love, passion, and sacrifice just to serve people with his medical profession. I learned from him that if you put passion in your heart as a health care provider, everything is possible. He made me believe that truly laughter is the best medicine. With his humorous personality, he let his patients express their feelings and made them feel that life is worth living.

One psychiatric patient there once said that if you go beyond the limit, you can find the answer you've been searching for. Just like the four fingers in our hands, we can see that there's eight fingers if we look beyond. Just like ourselves, we cannot see the real self if we won't look beyond. Cancer patients there was also delighted by Patch Adams who made them feel that life is indeed worth living. Even those aged people had been delighted by Patch Adams and brought upon them a bunch of "excessive happiness".

Patch Adams, just like us, is not perfect...he's just an ordinary medicine student who put passion in his heart, to light up those who need to be enlightened. And he's just an ordinary person who suffered a lot to make his dreams possible. He was once torn between two decisions: stay or quit. But since he wanted to be a doctor with all his heart, even there's a mountain of trials, he made it.
In my sophomore year in this profession, I want to be Patch Adams. A person that bears love and passion. A person who cures the other way. I may not be the best damn nurse you've ever seen, just like Patch Adams (the best damn doctor you've ever seen), but I can be a better damn nurse you've never seen.

No comments: